Dr L H Hiranandani was the inspiration behind the edifice. He was born in 1917 in Thatta, Sind (now in Pakistan). The family migrated to Mumbai in 1937. He completed his medical education in 1942. He was keen to further his education and went to England for his fellowship (FRCS). On his return to India in 1947, he joined The Topiwala National Medical College and B.Y.L Nair Hospital, Mumbai as Honorary Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgeon. In this hospital he rose to be the Head of Department.